[ExI] Media generations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 13 09:52:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 04:47:31PM -0700, spike wrote:

> I conjecture most of us don't do that anymore.  Text is free.  The new skill
> is figuring out which of the free text is worth the time to read it.

There's a rather well-known scientific library out there which currently
clocks in at 560 k volumes. At this rate it will be up to a million in
another 2-3 years. These are scans, so you need some 5 TByte if you want
to make a local mirror of it.

At the moment, that much redundant storage will probably set you back
some 1 kEUR, and a reader such as a Nook color about 200 EUR.

Treebeard would approve.