[ExI] Why Cities Keep Growing, Corporations and People Always Die, and Life Gets Faster

kellycoinguy at gmail.com kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:43:37 UTC 2011

Funny that you would bring up the fed in the context of a constitutional debate... :-)

Funny too is that Obama promised not to increase taxes on the middle class.. Then decides this is a tax when his lawyers back him into a corner. So is Obama another elected official breaking a campaign promise, or is he failing to uphold the constitution?

Choose, because I don't think you can have this one both ways.

Kelly

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Jun 13, 2011 11:07 AM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:39:25AM -0700, spike wrote:

> > >... a couple of courts have labelled it as "unconstitutional" which is

> accurate enough IMHO.

> >...And a bunch of other courts didn't... -xx- Damien X-)

Oh, and at least one judge who ruled it unconstitutional owns a big

chunk of a GOP consulting firm.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/judge-who-ruled-health-care-reform-unconstitutional-owns-piece-of-gop-consulting-firm.php

> I have read the US constitution word for word, and I find in there nothing

> that indicates the US government has the authority to make anyone buy

> anything.  The US government has the authority to regulate commerce, but as

Well, technically it's a tax increase that's waiveable if you

purchase health insurance or can prove that you can't afford to.

> far as I can tell, they haven't the authority to regulate non-commerce.

A narrow reading of the constitution also rules out the war on drugs,

the air force, control of nuclear weapons and material, the Bush vs. Gore

decision in 2000, and lots of other things.  Many of which would make

libertarians happy, but it's interesting to see what gets people antsy.

> Individual states have the authority to require that proles buy insurance,

> the fed doesn't.  Looks to me like the fed would need to pass a

But the fed does have the authority to shape tax policy.

-xx- Damien X-)

extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org