[ExI] Usages of the term libertarianism

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Jun 15 00:24:56 UTC 2011

I'm all in favor of privatization (done properly -- not the bastardized,
fascistic style of government-controlled privatization such as we see in the
US healthcare sector). Nevertheless, based on what I've seen, I agree with
Damien S that social security is not in as bad shape as often portrayed,
especially if you expect life spans to continue growing. Just push back by a
few years the age for drawing limited and full benefits, and you can largely
fix the problem.

It's a much bigger problem in most European countries because of the more
rapidly aging population and the relative lack of immigration. Immigration
by the young and energetic and ambitious is a continuing strength of the
USA, despite all its flaw.

--Max

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 08:23:16PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:00:18AM -0700, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > > And the young workers can anticipate being retirees on secure pension
> > > later.
> >
> > The pension funds are an intergenerational wealth transfer, and
> > already running on empty. It's barely enough for the current-generation
>
> Running on empty?  US Social Security could pay 75% of benefits
> indefinitely, and small tax increases would maintain the usual benefits.
>
> > retirees. The current young workers be better angry young workers.
> > It isn't as if the situation is sudden, and completely unanticipated.
>
> Or accurately portrayed by those who want to profit from privatization.
>
> -xx- Damien X-)

Max More
Strategic Philosopher
Co-founder, Extropy Institute