[ExI] frame dragging confirmed, so what of QT?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jun 18 12:47:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 02:36:36PM -0500, Damien Broderick wrote:
> "Gravity Probe B Project Confirms Einstein Space-Time Ideas"
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/science/space/05gravity.html>
>
> but doesn't this imply that QT is *less* secure, since GR and QT are
> incommensurable if not incompatible?

We know our current theory is a patchwork, not a TOE. This doesn't
mean that each patch is extremely accurate in its area of applicability.

It's not obvious a TOE will be particularly practical. Just as
people do fine with Newton most of the time, and never apply
relativistic corrections. There seems to be a trend that higher
level theories require overproportional amount of computation to
produce results easily computable with lesser theories.