[ExI] The top secret military research programs we don't get to hear about (was: working memory implant! wow!)

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 23 13:46:21 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
>> ...Except for the kind I do with my mouth, to another person's ear, and
the only middlemen are air particles!

>...Also, you might want to check that you left your mobile phone at home
(or have removed the battery)...

Ja.  Cell phones are little computers now.  A cell phone won a chess
tournament a couple years ago against at least two grandmasters.  Unlike old
time telephones which had no software, it looks to me like a modern cell
phone could be hacked such that it quietly opened a transmit line while not
turning on any background screens or making any indication it was
transmitting.  A cell phone could be rigged with speech recognition
technology such that it could convert speech to text and store huge hunks of
it.  Some of you software hipsters could likely tell us more than I can
imagine about how thinks like this could be done.  We now all have our own
potential bugging devices and plant them on ourselves.