[ExI] Rights (Was: Geert Wilders acquitted)

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 17:27:18 UTC 2011

David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com> commented:

>As we move into our extropian future, we will need a good one
>ourselves. Sentient rights doesn't roll off the tongue. It might be
>sufficient to expand the definitions of person, human, and citizen
>to allow more than the current species of homo sap.

.. whilst being careful not to fall into the same trap as the IEET, and proposing to grant human-level rights to subhumans.

Although, the whole issue may be moot anyway, as rights are pretty meaningless unless someone is able and willing to assert them.  I suspect that posthumans will have an abundance of both ability and will, so the inclinations of humans v.1 will be less relevant than they'd like to think.

Ben Zaiboc