[ExI] Homelessness (was Re: Social right to have a living)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 01:28:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Damien Sullivan
>> <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>>> Homelessness
>>> might look different if every citizen had by right a place they could go
>>> to.
>>
>> Giving homeless people a home sounds like a really good idea, until you actually try it.
>
> Sounds a lot like the old right -wing racist bigotry.  Just put
> "nigger" in the place of "homeless" and it's a perfect cliche.

I could take offense at this, being the father of six African American
children, but I won't.

I take to heart the fact that I did not carefully choose my words. I
stand by the facts.

The information I had on the Singapore situation came first hand from
my first wife who is from Singapore. I have not researched it on my
own.

The number of homes that are now uninhabitable because they were used
as crack houses is not insignificant.
http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/47028/wooooow_theyre_selling_houses_in_detroit_for_a_dollar____we_may_have_to_go_into_our_change_purse_and_pick_up_a_couple_pics.html

Remember, I'm the Libertarian that wants to make drugs legal. So not
the typical right wing Republican nut job.

> Some
> 85 per cent of Singapore’s resident population live in public housing.

Given that 85 percent of the people live in public housing, I would
say that it is working properly if you like communism. :-)  My
ex-relatives in Singapore live in their own house. Guess they are part
of the 15%.

Singapore is often a bad prototype. They are small. They have a
beneficial dictatorship, which is the most efficient form of
government, but who is to say the next generation will be beneficent?
I can't imagine 85% of Singaporian citizens would be homeless without
this program. They are the hardest working people I have ever met. And
Singapore is the cleanest city anywhere.

> Particularly if you come at it from a "poor/homeless people are
> degenerate deranged trash" point of view.

No, I don't come at it from that point of view, though I can see why
you might think I did from some of the poorly chosen words I used. I
attracted your ire and your condemnation. Sorry for not being picky in
my word choice. Now, can we have a nice chat about what should be
done?

-Kelly