[ExI] wii controllers

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 01:47:01 UTC 2011

2011/6/28 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> The critically important thing here is that a new and (to me) unexpected
> thing happened.  A remarkably competent very cheap three axis accelerometer
> hit the market while I wasn’t even looking (too busy raising a toddler.)  So
> here I am, a guy who used accelerometers professionally for years and years,
> and even wished I owned some of them, but they were typically several
> thousand dollars each, but how cool would it be to have some for various
> things.

I think the WiiMote is much more than JUST a three axis accelerometer.
There are some infrared things in there, and more. It is an amazing
piece of technology. As you look into it, be aware that there are
several versions, and each adds new technologies. The very latest has,
for example, a better accelerometer if I understand correctly.

> Suddenly and unexpectedly, a somewhat scaled down lowish bandwidth version
> of a three axis accelerometer with (apparently) imbedded firmware double
> integrators, hit the market, selling for about 40 bucks!  And I, a controls
> engineer, DIDN’T EVEN NOTICE until five years later.

Welcome to the Singularity Spike! When things happen so fast that
there is no way to keep up on everything, even the things you care
about! ;-)

You might want to look at the Kinect too, it has some way cool stuff
in it that you would like too.

-Kelly