[ExI] Homelessness (was Re: Social right to have a living)

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 08:01:34 UTC 2011

An excellent intermediate step is to have large numbers of adequately funded
longterm shelters designed like army barracks, with bunkbeds and lockers.
And a further stage would be huge apartment "halfway house" complexes, where
everyone is caseworker managed in a program that requires them to at least
look for work, when possible.  If they obey the rules and are not a major
problem, they can stay, but if they become a headache, they are then kicked
out.  This would be for people who are relatively mentally healthy & drug
free, and not the serious mental health cases that might need to be
institutionalized.

What enrages me is that the United States is extremely wealthy, and yet our
homeless shelters and temporary housing infrastructure is a joke due to
inadequate funding.  There are many people each night who are turned away
when they desperately need a bed in a warm room.  I think relatively
inexpensive longterm solutions are possible, but the public interest is just
not currently there.

John