[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Thu Jun 30 13:48:27 UTC 2011

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 02:52:43PM -0400, Richard Loosemore wrote:
>
>> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>
>>> It currently takes a Blue Gene to (poorly) model a very crude model
>>> of a cortical column. Not exactly in realtime.
>>>

>> Ack!  :-)  You continue to flatly misunderstand.  Blue Gene does not
>>

> I hear that pretty often.
>

>> simulate the functionality of a cortical column, because that
>> functionality is not known at the present time.  It tries to simulate
>> the functionality at around the neuron/synapse level.
>>

> Of course; because if you plug in digitized neuroanatomy into
> a sufficiently low level of theory the resulting behaviour will
> contain all the upper layers by way of emergence. So you can inspect
> the simulation to obtain the unknown unknowns.

>>> Can I see a realtime model of your cortical column on a PC?
>>>
>> No!  But only because it is proprietary.  And I think this request was
>> based on the same misunderstanding I just explained, so if you saw the
>> model you would not know it for what it was.   You seem to think that
>> you would get from me a model at the neural level.  That is not the
>> case, because I am modeling (what I believe to be) the functionality.
>> Big difference.
>>

> So you say that you choose to simulate the functionality you don't
> know at a level of theory you don't know to be sufficient. And you
> can't tell us anything about that, orelse you'd have to kill us.
> Sorry, that's enough of known unknowns out there already.

I'm really tired of the sarcasm and silliness.

This has become a waste of my time.

Richard Loosemore

P.S.  In case you take that as an implicit acceptance of your
provocative distortions, be aware that you can read about my program of
research in my papers and in many post on the AGI list and elsewhere.