[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 29 21:06:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 02:52:43PM -0400, Richard Loosemore wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> It currently takes a Blue Gene to (poorly) model a very crude model
>> of a cortical column. Not exactly in realtime.
>>

> Ack!  :-)  You continue to flatly misunderstand.  Blue Gene does not

I hear that pretty often.

> simulate the functionality of a cortical column, because that
> functionality is not known at the present time.  It tries to simulate
> the functionality at around the neuron/synapse level.

Of course; because if you plug in digitized neuroanatomy into
a sufficiently low level of theory the resulting behaviour will
contain all the upper layers by way of emergence. So you can inspect
the simulation to obtain the unknown unknowns.

>>> an AGI could very well be built using something within an order of
>>> magnitude of a current PC.
>>>

>> Can I see a realtime model of your cortical column on a PC?
>
> No!  But only because it is proprietary.  And I think this request was
> based on the same misunderstanding I just explained, so if you saw the
> model you would not know it for what it was.   You seem to think that
> you would get from me a model at the neural level.  That is not the
> case, because I am modeling (what I believe to be) the functionality.
> Big difference.

So you say that you choose to simulate the functionality you don't
know at a level of theory you don't know to be sufficient. And you
can't tell us anything about that, orelse you'd have to kill us.
Sorry, that's enough of known unknowns out there already.

>>> I don't think anyone pays sufficient atention to this little issue.
>>> Does anyone reading this post truly realize that the implication is
>>> that  if cortical columns are the relevant functional level, and if
>>> someone  figured out what the functionality is, that means someone
>>> could build an  AGI that would fit in (probably) a single server
>>> rack, and do so by the  end of the year...?
>>
>> You will not fit a human hardware equivalent in a rack by end of
>> this year. Or in ten years.
>>

> What is the point arguing?  You are not getting the point I am trying to
> make, no matter how hard I try.

I'm getting your point just fine. It's just I'm not buying any of it.
Especially, since everything you say you do is secret.

It could happen, but I'm not holding my breath.