[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:30:32 UTC 2011

On 29 June 2011 18:51, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Why a PC? Why
> not a pocket calculator, like TI-83?  I mean, where's the limit?

Because a pocket calculator is not a universal computing device, even though
it may be performing much better at basic arithmetics than a Babbage engine.
See http://www.wolframscience.com/nksonline/section-11.3

It currently takes a Blue Gene to (poorly) model a very crude model
> of a cortical column. Not exactly in realtime.

"Real time" is the crucial thing here.

If you have an Intel i8088 with a sufficiently high pile of floppies, and
performance is not an issue, you can model (and emulate) any system with a
finite set of statuses, as you can with a group of people playing logic
circuit in a plain.

OTOH, I am by no means certain that organic brains are so poorly optimised
to run "AGI" programs in comparison with other conceivable, eg, silicon,
supports.

--
Stefano Vaj