[ExI] Serious topic

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Mar 1 03:13:22 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 06:10 PM, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Damien Sullivan
> <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>  wrote:
>> Mind you, this doesn't account for the oil to fertilizer cycle, or the
>> costs of rebuilding public transport.  (Then again, if we were buying
>> fewer cars, there'd be idle capacity to be retooled for trains and
>> rails.)
>>
> Can we persuade governments to incentivise knowledge workers to stay
> home and telecommute?

Well, a bunch of us could just go on home strike.  We wouldn't be
picketing,  would be working, just not dragging the body through traffic
most days to do so.

>    Once I can do my job without the daily to/from
> the employer's cube (where they have to provide reasonable
> heating/cooling as well as lighting) then I can not only save the 50
> miles per day (plus unproductive time spent)  I also don't have to
> live in such expensive proximity the city.  There are much less
> populated places to live where costs are less than one third of what I
> currently require; but the average income in those locations is
> equally reduced.

Yep.  I am surprised that we still end up needing to commute this far
into the 21st century.  I thought for sure the last >$100/b oil would
change that.  Perhaps this time.

- samantha