[ExI] Serious topic

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 02:10:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Mind you, this doesn't account for the oil to fertilizer cycle, or the
> costs of rebuilding public transport.  (Then again, if we were buying
> fewer cars, there'd be idle capacity to be retooled for trains and
> rails.)

Can we persuade governments to incentivise knowledge workers to stay
home and telecommute?  Once I can do my job without the daily to/from
the employer's cube (where they have to provide reasonable
heating/cooling as well as lighting) then I can not only save the 50
miles per day (plus unproductive time spent)  I also don't have to
live in such expensive proximity the city.  There are much less
populated places to live where costs are less than one third of what I
currently require; but the average income in those locations is
equally reduced.