[ExI] Serious topic

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Mar 1 11:19:18 UTC 2011

Mike Dougherty wrote:
> I have long wondered why we are still spending so much engineering to
> build UP the cities, rather than burrowing into the earth.

I think the energy budget is tricky - in excavation you need to move
more than the weight of the building up to the surface, and then you
need to add the building below. Another aspect is that we have plenty of
well developed building techniques for above-ground buildings (many
making use of the affordances of access from the side and top while
building) while below ground building techniques are less well
developed. Building a subscraper is not the same as building a lot of
basements.

Energy-wise I guess the big benefit would be if subscrapers are more
efficient than skyscrapers. I am not sure - you trade convective heat
losses for conductive heat losses, and they can be pretty substantial.
Besides, the whole place will require an active air conditioning system
anyway.

 From an greenhouse gas standpoint, anything that can reduce our use of
concrete is a good thing. It is very energy intensive, spews out a lot
of CO2 and is responsible for a surprisingly noticeable fraction of
total GHG emissions. Recycling of concrete is actually a good idea.
Hence it might be interesting to make buildings modular so that you can
actually recycle the concrete modules when you do not want that
particular building.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute