[ExI] Scanners live in vain

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Tue Mar 1 07:37:22 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 10:59 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Meanwhile, there's this old chunky Zip 100 drive where I've solved the
> power supply problem but now Vista doesn't want to provide a letter or
> icon for me to click to activate the bastard. Bop it!

Do you want to do just a one time access to get some data or regular
use?  My memory is that some of the versions of Knoppix had support for
Zip drives.   You could boot with Knoppix and then copy the data off if
you just wanted to do a one time data recovery.  For those who have not
used Knoppix before it is a Linux distribution which runs from either a
CD or USB thumb drive and is very useful when diagnosing computer
problems.  As long as you do not start the install process then it does
not change the existing OS.  I  have used Knoppix several times in the
past and it has always worked for me.  Note unless you read German make
sure to select English when it is starting since as I recall it defaults
to German.  The person who developed it is German.

Fred