[ExI] Serfdom and libertarian critiques (Was: Call to Libertarians)

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 4 18:31:26 UTC 2011

BillK wrote:
> So you have to track every member of society to see what chargeable
> services they are using and send them a monthly bill. Is that really
> the Libertarian society you want?

That's a nice argument!  ;-)

One of the natural end points of libertarian thinking is that everyone
has to be monitored, to track the costs they are incurring, so they can
be charged.

But of course, the government should not do the monitoring, and instead
each person must carry around some kind of device to count the people
who need to be made to pay....

So all these motorists in London each have to carry some kind of device
in their car so that when a pedestian tries to use the road and slow
them down, the motorist can somehow get money out of them:  "You want to
cross in front of my car? There's a toll!".

So what is the device that will let them do this?  Ah, yes, a gun.

Richard Loosemore