[ExI] High power orbital greenhouses

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 23:11:02 UTC 2011

On 03/03/2011 11:40 AM, Mr Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com
> <mailto:atymes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Or, you know, reusable spacecraft, where the problem is mainly
>     refueling
>     and servicing them.  Ship plants down, ship nutrients up.
>

> Space elevator anyone?

We are at at least three orders of magnitude away from bulk material
strong enough to make this viable from the earth's surface.    We also
don't have any climbers fast enough to take biological systems up a
geosynchronous elevator without them being fatally irradiated.  It is a
problem we are not likely to solve until post-MNT.

- samantha