[ExI] household organizer, was :RE: Serious topic

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Mar 10 18:50:45 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes

>...That video seems to be much more about the interoperability of devices
made by, presumably, companies who had little to do with one another, and on
the possibilities of touch interface... Adrian

Ja.  I am waiting for something analogous to Java for various household
appliances.  It needs to be some freeware open source universal language
that devices can transmit via Bluetooth that will allow it to tell the other
appliances what it is doing, how it is feeling, and to issue or take orders
from other appliances.  I don't even yet know what that can be used for, and
I recognize it carries its own risks.  I still want that capability in every
home appliance that has any processors.  I want the appliances to be able to
do self-diagnostics and diagnostics on each other.

If I have a security camera for instance, I want it to be able to get orders
from my computer if my computer senses it is being moved about while the
camera knows that I and my family are away.  I want my computer to call out
to the security system to swing around and take a picture of it, and then
page me, and if I don't respond, to tell my landline to call 911.  Then set
off my smoke detectors, all of them.  The neighbors will not do anything if
my burglar alarm goes off, but if my smoke detectors imply that they may
burn the neighbors' houses, that gets their full and undivided.

I want my bed to be able to detect if I have had a stroke for instance, and
alert my cell phone to dial and inform Alcor for instance, then the 911,
then unlock the doors so the medics can get to me, and once they get there
tell them who to contact.

Forget community organizers, I want a household organizer.  I want to get my
appliances talking to each other.  If they will just do that, I don't even
mind if they form a union.