[ExI] household organizer, was :RE: Serious topic

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:21:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> [...]

That exists today - in appliances that have implemented it.  Almost none do.
The problem is, having a refrigerator that can display images on its touch
screen front, can receive image files from other devices (say, via Bluetooth or
USB), and support a standard Web browsing experience is of practically no
extra value beyond just having a refrigerator.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/47184/what_happened_to_internet_appliances.html
has more info on that.  Granted, the article is about 10 years old - it's still
relevant, though http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20009592-56.html
details progress since then (but note that, even then, the gadgets still have
a solid value add for having the interactivity; it's still not general purpose
"computing just because we can").

It's kind of like how, even today, a $100 laptop is just barely possible - and
that's a dedicated computing object.  A lot of these future additions fall into
the gap between "Would you use it even once if it was already there",
"Would you use it regularly if it was already there", and "Would you pay to
have it added".  People think they want stuff when the first one is a yes, but
then there's the second (which lots of fitness equipment infamously falls prey
to) - and if the third isn't a yes, it's too expensive for anyone to make.