[ExI] Which nootropics work best?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Mar 15 01:01:56 UTC 2011

John and Harvey: Yes, I agree completely. Despite the pressure of things to
do, I almost always these days get a minimum of 7 hours and mostly closer to
8 hours sleep, with extra at weekends. As a (Neo)Paleo advocate, I'm
definitely in tune with the idea of waking up without an alarm clock. I find
that more difficult now that I must keep office time, but I'm working toward
that goal.

I'm already doing my best with nutrition and exercise, so I'm looking for
those extra few percent improvements.

--- Max

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM, <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote,
> > My recommendation to Max and everyone is to get a GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP.
>
> I second this.  Reviewing the literature shows that sleep restores
> memory and cognitive function much more effectively than any nootropic.
> We know that the effect of sleep deprivation and the speed at which
> sleep restores function is extremely dramatic.  We know that even minor
> disruptions to sleep quantity or quality have dramatic measurable
> effects on performance.  Most nootropics show only a few percent
> improvement.  And many of these are within the possible range of the
> placebo effect.

[snip]

> Nootropics might provide a few percentage points of increased
> effectiveness.  But they pale in comparison to sleep, exercise, and
> basic nutrition in my experience.
>
> --
> Harvey Newstrom, Security Consultant, <www.HarveyNewstrom.com<http://www.harveynewstrom.com/>
> >
> CISSP CISA CISM CGEIT CSSLP CRISC CIFI NSA-IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP
>
> --

Max More
Strategic Philosopher
Co-founder, Extropy Institute