[ExI] Remembering 2000-04-01

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 22 02:20:57 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of F. C. Moulton
Subject: [ExI] Remembering 2000-04-01

On 03/21/2011 05:47 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
> But Ray thinks we can do neat, and even good stuff with stuff like AI
> and nanotech while Bill thinks it will be the end of us (or that's
> what he thought the last time I was up on his thinking).
>
> They might both be right.

>...Since April 1 is fast approaching it might be worth remembering the
2000-04-01 event where Bill Joy, Ray Kurzweil and others discussed these
issues...

This was an event I will never forget.

 > There are links to the audio at:
http://www.newsociety6e.nelson.com/student/lecture_hall.html
... Fred

Fred was that among the greatest times of our lives, or what?  I had a blast
up there.  Douglas Hofstadter was there, along with a bunch of others high
on my heroes list.  Many of the local hardcore types were there.  We showed
up three hours ahead, and the ~500 seats in the main hall at Stanford was
already mostly filled.  They set up a closed circuit TV for another ~1.5
kilogeek in a nearby hall.  It was AWESOME!  Afterwards I pulled off the
greatest April Fools gag in my life.  {8^D