[ExI] it's better than it used to be

Kevin Freels reasonerkevin at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 06:14:05 UTC 2011

Kelly said:

Wikipedia is important primarily as a prime example of a new economic
model that is, IMHO quite important. The encyclopedia itself is a huge
accomplishment, but the open source economic model is the paradigm
shift, and I believe that actually does rank up there with the
invention of the printing press, double entry book-keeping, money,
writing, poetry, musical notation, the English patent system,
discovery of evolution, the invention of intellectual property, sliced
bread and the scientific method as one of the great memes of all time.
It will take a couple more decades, I think, to fully appreciate the
model for what it will become, but I have no doubt that it will take
its place among these other great memes.

Kevin replies:

Have you considered that the new economic model represented by Wikipedia isn't
new at all? It is communism.