[ExI] Capitalism 2.0 was Status as human motivator

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 19:10:13 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

It's not just the banks. Most government agencies mandated to regulate a
particular industry end up getting in bed with that industry. Sometimes
literally.  It's called regulatory capture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture

> > In 2007 they went to the Fed and said either you pay us off with a
> > trillion dollar bailout or we crash the world financial system. Guns
> > to the head are not just mechanical devices.
>
> This is a reason, not an excuse, for the Fed or the government behaviour.
> The government could have nationalized the bank and saved them. Then
> they could have fired all executives and throw the book at them. Making
> them pay all the bonuses out of their nose.

The big picture of what is going on is called the "Iron Triangle". It so weird
that people on either side of the political spectrum blame one vertex of the
triangle or another but so few see that the whole damn triangle stinks of
corruption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_triangle_(US_politics)

And here is a graph that shows that special interests recieve $222 in pork for
every $1 they spend on a campaign contribution. The weird thing is that
judges rule that bribing politicians *before* they get elected is protected by
"free speech" even if the person doing the bribing is a foreign national. But
then again most judges are elected officials themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Money_96.pdf&page=1

> The government decided to be in the pocket of big banks and save them at
> the expenses of the people (in reality it decided it long time ago and
> it probably don't remember when it was not there). They are to be blamed
> as much, if not more, than the bankers. Because, if the government want
> they can change the rules. If they don't it is because they like the
> game as it is.

What we need to do is ignore the million dollar TV commercials that trick us
into blaming the "other idealogy" for this mess and realize that liberals,
conservatives, libertarians, independents, and essentially *everyone* who can't
afford to buy politicians in exchange for pork are all in the same sinking boat.
Then we need to realize that whenever a mainstream candidate starts talking
ideology, it is all just to obfuscate his or her real agenda. Then maybe we can
have intelligent discussions about solutions instead of endless finger
pointing and shouting matches. Perhaps we might even collectively figure out how
to get someone like this elected to high office:

"I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United
States.

I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have
used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When
you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it
to the Bank. ... You are a den of vipers and thieves."

— Andrew Jackson in 1834 on closing the Second Bank of the United States.

Stuart LaForge

"There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence,
and energy of her citizens cannot cure."- Dwight D. Eisenhower