[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

Mr Jones mrjones2020 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:11:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> ### Ah, the typical moralizing

Morality has nothing to do with this.  I don't subscribe to the
objective-moral-truth camp.  This is about long-term
viability/sustainability, and avoiding people 'pissing in the pool' so to
speak.

> - you can't be richer than I because
> somebody out there is poor.

By all means, be richer than I.  Be WAY richer.  My objection isn't those
that have much, it's that the way the system has been designed prevents many
from having ANY, due to those few that have so much.

> Of course, virtually none of the
> moralizers who are usually quite rich and personally, through
> charitable giving, well-capable of feeding/hydrating at least a couple
> hundred of the alleged victims of capitalism, actually does anything
> about it. All they do is rail against the rich.

I don't disagree with you here.  We've created a system full of
short-sighted fools.

> This tells me that their true intention is signaling - trying to tell
> the tribe they are one of us, not trying to raise themselves above
> others, showing solidarity with each and everyone, worthy of love and
> respect. Such hypocrisy is usually fueled by envy, sometimes by a
> desire to blend in with the masses, out of an instinctive fear of
> being attacked. They always attack the best, the few, since the few
> are an easy target for the looting mob.

Well, when the few hold such an exorbitant amount of available opportunity,
who can blame them.

> And if all this signaling makes an economy less efficient, therefore
> less able to improve the lives of everyone, including the poor - who
> cares?

Less efficient my ass.  If anything capitalists should WANT those billions
of people as consumers.  That kind of forward thinking goes against
everything our quarterly-profit-driven world stands for, however.  Again,
short-sighted fools.  Sort of like the USoA wasting TRILLIONS on securing
oil reserves, instead of investing TRILLIONS in
infrastructure/energy independence.  Missing the forest for the trees.

> There are appearances to be kept, debate points to be scored.

Not a concern of mine.  I often forget I have one, till I'm reminded by my
better half, that I'm getting a lil 'rough'.  Who's keeping score?  How much
am I down by?

>  Screw the poor, they are just an excuse to kick your enemies in the
> shin.

Rather give 'em a hand up, someone gave us one along the way.