[ExI] Kiss Device (was Re: buttload)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri May 6 06:23:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Speaking of which, check this:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/05/05/computer.kiss.device/index.htm
> l?hpt=T2
>
> You KNOW what comes next.  Whoever makes it to the market first with a
> reasonably good set of internet enabled simugenitals will make a cubic
> buttload of money.  Furthermore, no one will resent them for being rich.  I
> have heard talk of this, but never actually seen it on the market.  Just to
> be sure, perhaps I should go visit the local purveyor of such items.

If you want a serious treatment of this subject, I highly recommend
Love + Sex with Robots by David Levy. This book is not exactly for
kids or anything, but it is a very serious visit into a weird corner
of the future. David argues very convincingly that this WILL happen,
and not as far out as most of us might think.

I suspect someone very soon will combine robotics with the RealDoll,
and create an extremely expensive, amazing device that will make the
moral majority very uncomfortable.

As for nobody resenting them, I seriously disagree with that assessment.

The nature of sex in the future is very interesting to me and worth
watching because sex seems to be a technology leader. The first VCRs
were frequently sold to view X rated material. Most of the early
Internet video and video chat was sexual. Some of the first images
available on the Internet were pornographic. The first pornographic
moving picture was made around 1906. I haven't checked into it, but
I'd bet the new 3d televisions have a porn connection.

Sex will clearly be the technical lead on haptic interfaces. I believe
that it won't be any time at all before the Kinect is used in a
serious pornographic application. There is already a pretty lame demo
of one out there. It will be done better soon without a doubt.

As for robotics, there are a number of home made robots out there that
are pretty astonishing, as well as kind of disturbing.

Of course, there are the mainstream and high end sex toys, including
the Sybian that demonstrate not only that they can be effective, but
that they can sell for a buttload of money. Just the base Sybian is
$1315. But that's like a car without air conditioning. The Venus 2000
for men starts at $815. The RealDoll is something around $5000. The
overall porn industry is estimated to be somewhere between $12-$50
Billion. The point being that there is a lot of money out there for
this sort of stuff.

Teledildonics is going to be big!

People look at me funny when I say this stuff, but I don't see how you
can argue with the history.

-Kelly