[ExI] Did Hugo de Garis leave the field?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri May 6 15:23:21 UTC 2011

On 6 May 2011 07:42, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/5/4 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> The microcomputer has been around since 1970 (the IC is even
> >> earlier), and it has no fundamental architectural differences
> >> from the mini, nor the mini from the mainframe.
>
> I stand by personal computing as a paradigm shift. It's not about the
> technology, but the access, and the uses they have been put to.

Be it as it may, we are quickly going to end up with much fewer things where
"It's not about the technology, but the access" will be applicable unless we
become again able to sustain a rate of "fundamental" innovation similar to
that 1850-1950, or perhaps 1870-1970 to be optimist.

> By 1970, we had finished integrating all of the technology from the
> Roswell crash into our society. There won't be another paradigm shift
> until there is another crash. It's so simple, I am surprised that I
> would be the first to bring it up.

Indeed. Even though Roswell is in the US, and theoretical innovation prior
to 1970 took place to a large extent in Europe... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj