[ExI] Cephalization, proles--Where is government going?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:02:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM, Will Steinberg
<steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki
> <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/5/11 Mr Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com>:
>> ### If new nasty shit shows up in water, you can sue. If the value of
>> the water is lower than the value of the gas, then the gas producer
>> will have enough money to pay you off, and then some. If the harm
>> inflicted by poisoning water (which in this case is purely
>> theoretical) were higher than the benefit to gas consumers, the
>> producer will be bankrupted.
>>
>> Self-regulation in action.
>>

> You live in a fantasy world.
>
> Money does not equal quality of life.  Affected people cannot afford
> to sue companies or are too disillusioned.  Not everyone knows how to
> do perfect, economic cost-benefit analysis.  Does it even apply?  The
> details of every transaction are obscured; the people are constantly
> kept out of the loop and in debt.  They do not want dirty money to
> keep drinking water.  They are angry.  These are insidious societal
> problems that do not go away, only continue to cause damage as they
> become less noticeable under a mass of red tape.

### You live in a fantasy world. Money can buy all the water you need.
Affected people find it very easy to sue everybody and his uncle, in
humongous class-action lawsuits that give undue advantage to the
claimants, not the defending businesses. Only the court experts need
to make a cost-benefit analysis. Cost benefit analysis is the only
valid consideration, everywhere. People are keeping themselves out of
the loop by relying on government bureaucrats to do what they need to
do themselves. Those in debt usually deserve it, and I'd say, screw
them. If they don't want just compensation, screw them too, luddites
should be eradicated. The most insidious social problem is violence,
and its most egregious form is the government.

Rafal