[ExI] Strong libertarianism, societal good, & suffering (was: Cephalization, proles)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:43:43 UTC 2011

2011/5/15 Amon Zero <amon at doctrinezero.com>:
> On 14 May 2011 11:03, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Suffice to say, I disagree with your analysis on multiple levels. I have
> never seen anything approaching conclusive evidence that full-blown
> libertarianism would "produce good outcomes for the poor" (although of
> course I've heard a *lot* of assertions), whereas I have seen plenty of
> examples of unrestrained economic and political behaviour causing great
> suffering to people unable to protect themselves from its effects.

America, you might have heard of the place, was once very much a
libertarian place. I hear they have produced good outcomes for the
poor.

Was there suffering in early America? yes. Was there growth? yes. Was
there unfair labor practices? You bet. It wasn't a utopian place with
no poor or suffering, but it was a place of opportunity for more
people than had ever experienced the same in the history of the world.

Has there ever been a government that has produced more wealth in a
greater number of her subjects? No. Never.

How can you say libertarianism has never been tried? It wasn't perfect
libertarianism, but it was a lot closer than it is today.

-Kelly