[ExI] Small scale solar payback time (was Re: Planetary defense)

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 24 05:00:06 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Keith Henson
Subject: Re: [ExI] Small scale solar payback time (was Re: Planetary
defense)

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
>>> I really truly can't understand why Rush Limbaugh is so negative
>>> about solar...-Kelly

Actually BillK said it.

Oooops apologies Kelly.  I wouldn't have had BillK as a Rush Limbaugh
listener.  {8^D

>> ...A lot of that desert land goes weeks at a time between seeing a single
cloud.

>...I have looked deeply into this and it just doesn't make sense
economically or even in terms of physics.  It doesn't seem likely that it
ever will before nanotech...It's not an issue in China and you don't see
them paving their deserts...

Not yet.  They do have plenty of coal.  Let's see if they go with PV powered
coal to octane in the next 10 yrs.

>...It's a different situation in space where the solar concentrators and
radiators can mass 1-2 kg/kW.  Keith

Ja.  I can imagine some of the other schemes being developed in parallel
with space based solar as a backup in case that fails.