[ExI] Cephalization, proles--Where is government going?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri May 27 05:37:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> Il 11/05/2011 05:08, Rafal Smigrodzki ha scritto:
>
>> ### I used to believe that a government is unavoidable for protection
>> purposes and as little as 7 years ago I argued against
>> anarchocapitalists on this list but since then I have moved on.
>
> Do anyone know exaples of anarchocapitalists (or simple libertarians)
> moving to the other side?
> From what I understand the probability of an anarchocapitalist to change
> his mind is much lower than the probability of someone else to become one.
>
> So, or we are intractable lunatics or we understand something others
> don't understand and we can not ignore.

### I think that if you arrive at an anarchocapitalist worldview by a
Bayesian inference process (or some reasonable approximation thereof),
you will most likely be quite stable, unless a large amount of
conflicting evidence shows up. It took me a long time to overcome my
emotional opposition to AC but the intellectual process eventually
became impossible to resist, and I really can't see any possibility of
going back to believing that monopolies of violence are an efficient
idea. On the other hand, if you start out a natural rights libertarian
and adhere to AC because it resonates with you emotionally, the
position might be less stable. The case of John C. Wright, who
converted from AC to, of all things, christianity, is probably
illustrative here, although I am not sure if he really was a natural
rights libertarian (just guessing so from some parts of his Golden
Ecumene books).

Rafal