[ExI] Monetary Evolution Now! was REVOLUTION NOW!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 12:13:40 UTC 2011

2011/11/10 Amon Zero wrote:
> Yes, I agree that we'd never get more than a certain % agreeing, and nor
> should we try (not least because being right is more important than being
> popular, in almost all regards), however...
>
> Imagine we are casting a net. Where should we aim to put the *centre* of
> that net?
>
> It seems that we can agree that something is wrong in our society, and that
> as citizens we have not only a right but a duty to attempt correcting that
> wrong. My own view is that the current wrong is associated with Capitalism,
> but as I've said I think trade and innovation are important as a matter of
> principle.

Not only on the Exi list. In society as a whole you will never get
more than a small percentage agreeing that the current system is
wonderful. (No matter what the system is). Until everyone gets every
wish granted you won't get agreement.

In human society 'being right' is only incidental. 'Winning the
argument' is the primary driver. That's the way humans have evolved
and we are stuck with it. Of course it is better for us if 'being
right' wins the argument, but that doesn't happen very often in
politics.
Even if a marvellous system was proposed it would be ruined as alpha
males argued for random changes to increase their status / position /
wealth.

You will be very lucky to get a system that more than half the
population agree with. Looking around, if you do, then you will
probably need some kind of religious style brain-washing involved to
numb the majority of the population.

Humans are too different to have 'one size fits all'.

BillK