[ExI] Capitalism, anti capitalism, emotional arousal

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Nov 11 19:22:45 UTC 2011

From: spike [mailto:spike66 at att.net]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 10:54 AM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: RE: [ExI] Capitalism, anti capitalism, emotional arousal

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Giovanni
Santostasi

.

>>."these people have so much money that they don't care about money
anymore, it is all about power".

.

>>.This why spreading wealth is not possible in any form of capitalism
because its end game is for few people to gain unlimited power through
hording resources in the fewest hand possible.

Giovanni

>.This argument leads to a paradox as soon as one considers the
alternatives.  Different openings, same endgame.  spike

To expand a bit further, consider in any such discussion how the word
"wealth" is used.  What word precedes that word?  Is it "the" as in 'spread
THE wealth around.'

The word preceding 'wealth' often tells a lot about the speaker's basic
assumptions.  What is "THE wealth"?  Note that people with certain
assumptions will never say "other people's wealth" nor will the word "my"
precede the word wealth.  Never will you hear a political candidate utter
the comment "everyone is better off when we spread MY wealth around."  Have
you?  "The" never means "my."   They are never quite sure that other
people's wealth really belongs to other people.

As a thought experiment, whenever you hear or read the word wealth or money,
if the word before it is "the" replace it with "other people's" and vice
versa.  What does it do to the meaning of the comment?  In many cases, this
modification clarifies the meaning of the comment.