[ExI] Diet (was: Capitalism, anti capitalism, emotional arousal)

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 10:25:23 UTC 2011

"spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>Ja.  Since China went functionally capitalist, Chinese doctors have been
>seeing a rash of obesity and related diseases, a sharp rise in diabetes,
>etc, what they refer to as rich man's syndrome because it is their upper
>class which gets these.  But note that all these things are what kills poor
>people in the US: the puzzling argument is they are too poor to afford a
>proper diet, so they eat cheap high fat foods.

High-fat diets don't lead to obesity, in most people.  High-sugar ones do.
Any diet that produces spikes of high blood sugar will lead to fat synthesis and storage, and contribute to insulin insensitivity.  If anything, fat in the diet has a moderating influence on this, partly because it triggers satiety hormones that carbohydrates don't.

The USDA 'fat is bad' orthodoxy is quite possibly what has /caused/ the obesity epidemic in the first place.

If you're overweight (I'm not talking to Spike here, LOL!), try taking a couple of spoonfuls of olive oil between meals for a few weeks, and see what happens.

Ben Zaiboc