[ExI] Morality research

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 11:46:56 UTC 2011

Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> > I strongly recommend 'The Moral Landscape' by Sam Harris.  Fascinating > > and thought-provoking stuff.  I'm still reading it, and haven't made
> > my mind up yet about his argument, but it's definitely worth reading.  > > I think it's particularly relevant to the question of 'friendly AI'.
> >

> It is worth noting that most professional ethicists dismiss it. Not just
> because of a "not invented here" or job security reasons, but because
> they find a lot of faults with his approach.

Really?  They actually dismiss it, rather than argue with it?

Well, it would be interesting to see some counter-arguments explained in similarly accessible language.  If he is reinventing the wheel, at least he's doing it in a way that is understandable to the average person.  It seems (so far, I haven't finished it yet) to be a potentially useful wheel, and if there are fatal flaws with it, someone should be explaining them in easy-to-understand terms.  Perhaps someone is?  I'll have to go looking once I've finished the book.

Ben Zaiboc