[ExI] question for electronic voice effects hipsters

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 02:29:34 UTC 2011

> 2011/11/20 spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>

> ** **
>>
>> Have we experts among us on electronic voice enhancement?  Does autotune
>> allow any voice to be brought to nearly perfect in-tune?

A quote from time magazine: " Auto-Tune doesn't make it possible for just
anyone to sing like a pro, but used as its creator intended, it can
transform a wavering performance into something technically flawless. "

Full article here.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1877372,00.html

>> If so, how can we, or can we, distinguish a terrific new talent from an
>> ordinary nobody who has been autotuned?

Phrasing. Vocal range. Timing. Interpretation.  And my particular favorite
though perhaps not relevant to this discussion: song-writing ability.

For instance this one:****

>> ** **
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOu0DuxFAT0&feature=player_embedded****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Real?  Or computer enhanced?

No clue. Personally I hated it. But that's just a matter of taste.

Darren