[ExI] question for electronic voice effects hipsters

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 21 02:57:50 UTC 2011

On Behalf Of Giovanni Santostasi
Subject: Re: [ExI] question for electronic voice effects hipsters

Why should it matter?

It should matter because I want to get a feel for how powerful voice
enhancement technology has become.  As a controls engineer, I have been for
years thinking about how we could take ordinary flawed voices and mimic the
transcendent quality of those few voices that stir the soul, such as Elvis
Presley, Karen Carpenter, Hayley Westenra, Josh Groban for instance, the
kinds of voices that only come around about one a decade.  What I want to
know is if we can create these kinds of sounds in arbitrary quantities.

Welcome are the enhancements.

Giovanni

I do welcome them indeed, but I want to know if this voice is synthesized.
If we can create soul stirring voices from ordinary talent, this is a
wonderful new day indeed.  I fear I will be disappointed to learn that Kina
Grannis is just a terrific young natural talent, and that we cannot yet
create these kinds of sounds from scratch.