[ExI] Slow thinking

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 14:01:40 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote:

> Yes. My personal answer to Fermi's paradox is much
> more along the lines of Wolfram's.

http://www.marcuschown.com/kelvinsample.htm

"If you do not like Wolfram's rather
unorthodox
explanation of the Fermi paradox, then you are
left essentially with
two plausible options: either
there is some murderous race out there in the
Galaxy - in which case perhaps we should be
cautious about overtly announcing
our
presence - or we are the first intelligence to
have arisen and therefore and
utterly alone
in the Milky Way. Then again, there could
still be some
explanation nobody has yet
thought of."

Wolfram essentially said we won't recognize
advanced alien technology when we see it
and the aliens are sitting at home on their
computers because anything of interest can
be found there.

I have said before elsewhere that alien radio
signals would appear to be noise.  The military
was publicly discussing the advantages of
impulse wide band encrypted radio back in the
late 1980s.  As Wolfram said - once you make
it efficient it looks like white noise.

Some other efficient alien technology may
also take on forms we don't recognize.

Dan Ust has often pointed out that not all
alien civilizations are going to take the same
path so why don't we see the upstarts,
those who don't follow custom, or civilizations
with a different outlook?

I view the SETI effort as too small so far to
catch unusual aliens or stray signals not
following a general pattern.  I support the
idea that rather than a "murderous race"
we are looking at a generalized military
strategy for all times and all places - how
to render WoMD largely ineffective even
considering the energy scales in space.

Superstealth - SND as discussed in a previous
post.

Dennis May