[ExI] Speaking of "The Great Stagnation"...

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 19:35:37 UTC 2011

2011/10/23 Dennis May <dennislmay at yahoo.com>

> When I was undergraduate "80-84" we had about 30%
> of our students who had moved from the business school to
> physics, about 30% from engineering to physics, and about
> 20% from mathematics to physics.

Other aspects can be considered. In Italy, if you belong to the faculty in a
Physics Dept, you have much better chances to get tenure by writing a nice
essay on, say, History of Physics Throughout the Centuries, a subject which
can be comfortably researched in libraries by delegating 80% of the work to
undergraduates, than by engaging in the seek of some elusive breakthrough
that may require impossible-to-obtain grants and face the theoretical
hostility of the mainstream.

--
Stefano Vaj