[ExI] destructive uploading was AI class (Eugen Leitl)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 09:40:25 UTC 2011

On 31 August 2011 18:55, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If anyone cares about marketing transhumanism in the present, we
> > should quit talking about destructive uploading.  It is a really
> > distasteful and (to my way of thinking) stupid way to upload when
> > there are conceivable options that provide a path to reversible
> > uploading as slick as boiling a frog.
>
> Which options would those be?

i) Coming from "wet" transhumanism, I developed a keen interest on its
"hard" side when I joined the actual movement, but basically in the
nano-bio-info-cogno equation the bio variable is going to remain very
central for a very long time, IHMO.

ii) Also in the way of autocriticism, we may have been insisting a little
too much on life-extensionism and survival - something which is perhaps
wrongly perceived as the most popular and less threatening part of our
discourse - and a little too little on human enhancement, which seems after
all to mobilise at least an equal interest.

Sure, "uploads" would serve in principle both purposes, but for the latter a
fyborg - which is by far the lower hanging fruit - would work equally well.

--
Stefano Vaj