[ExI] deathless meat

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 08:30:46 UTC 2011

> spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> >>.We have a conveyor or something to bring food and
> water to the bovine,
> another to haul away the remains, the beast
> pumps stem cells in the blood to the meat factory. spike

I think there's a misconception about the technology here.

A steady supply of stem cells is not needed.  Stem cells are used to derive the muscle (and other) cells that form the meat.  You just need to extract a sample of stem cells, culture them (and I believe we can keep a culture going indefinitely, or should be able to soon. After all, Henrietta Lacks is immortal, in a sense), and take a proportion into meat production.

Theoretically, only one batch of stem cells from an animal would provide all the meat of that particular type you'd need, forever.  In practice, it may require periodic refreshes of stem cells, but nothing like a continuous supply from any one animal.

Ben Zaiboc