[ExI] openness on the internet, was RE: Destructive uploading.

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:37:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
>
>>...Perhaps the youngsters will be more willing to participate in the hive
> mind. After all, they are already sharing things on Facebook that would have
> mortified me.  -Kelly
>

> Isn't it amazing?  I don't know what to make of that.  People in cyberspace
> seem so very self-accepting of everything, so un-self-conscious, so free of
> any emotion I would call abashedness, so sure that regardless of their own
> faults, it isn't their fault.

There seems to be little in the way of shame, or guilt. That's
probably a good thing overall... but it could have some serious
consequences in some circumstances. J Edgar Hoover spent years putting
together what we would now call Facebook pages on his enemies, and he
ruled Washington with those files! Now, we just give that sort of
information away for free. I'm sure there will be consequences, but
what they are, I have no idea. I think it may make us a little more
forgiving of politicians... perhaps. Though the recent Anthony Weiner
thing shows us that the people aren't all ready for that kind of
forgiveness quite yet. I do predict that the day will come when what
Weiner did will be seen as no big deal, even in political circles.

> The attitude seems to be whatever they are is
> shared by countless others.  I have seen people spill to the whole world
> such intimate details about themselves, apparently with zero concern about
> repercussions.  In my own misspent youth, most people would never in a
> million years confess to their closest friend that which is today freely
> spilled into the public domain forever and ever amen.

Yup.

> How did that happen?

Role models like Paris Hilton? I dunno?

> I am not objecting, nor saying it is a bad thing, rather the opposite.  Just
> wondering why.

I think it is more good than bad. but there has to be SOME bad in there.

-Kelly