[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:22:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:55:56AM +0200, Florent Berthet wrote:
>
>> Exactly. And that's why I see the destructiveness of an uploading method as
>> a non-issue.
>
> Even continuity is not required. I balk at equating jumbled
> trajectory slices from subsequent computation and throwing
> out time. This is nonsense, as each frame follows from
> another, and there's no way to be able to jump far in
> time without explicitly traversing histories in-between.
> Strictly no shortcuts.
> Hashlife is different as it only deals with lightcones,
> and there's probably no way to tell you're being hashed,
> sliced and diced ten times to Sunday and back as an internal
> observer. People postulating an infinity of esternal states
> embedded in some metareality are probably in the same class
> as Tipler. Too fond of religion.

There are theoretical ways of generating your t+1 slice before your t,
for example by generating every possible slice systematically (a human
brain has many possible thoughts but not infinitely many). You are
saying that as a practical matter, it is not possible to arbitrarily
generate t+1 before t, which is true, but beside the point when we are
discussing whether continuity of consciousness would persist despite
jumbling up the slices in real time or in a timeless block universe.

--
Stathis Papaioannou