[ExI] Request for help with malware "mystery"

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:18:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in need of some computer-savvy assistance.
> Note the line:  "This site may harm your computer."

Google offers this commentary as some form of public service that is
has noticed the site may have been used to deliver attack code.  I
experienced this notice on one of our corporate websites after a
successful drive-by sql injection.  If that is the case, then the site
itself may be the victom because it's only fault was not being more
protected from malicious intent.  Most likely the defacement was fixed
within hours (speaking from experience) but the notice might persist
for a long time after the cleanup.

Also, google might have detected media that exploits certain
misfeatures of IE - so the "may harm your computer" notice could be
true if you have the exploitable browser and OS that a known vector is
using.

I could also be unaware of some newer or more-complicated reason for
google's warning.

You're probably smart enough to know that any/all sites "may" harm
your computer and have already invested reasonable countermeasures.
I'd say that the suspicion/paranoia you experienced is generally
healthy even if there is no cause for alarm regarding the site you
mentioned.

disclaimer:  Given the value of a dollar these days, my $0.02 may be
worth even less than it used to.