[ExI] Faster than light??

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 24 14:27:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, 9/24/11, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

 "I believe that 17 Gev figure refers to the energy of the protons in the beam that produces the neutrinos not to the energy of the neutrinos themselves."

"Nope, that is the neutrino energy. The protons were more energetic"
Yes, you're right. I noticed that they used Muon neutrinos not Electron neutrinos, I know they oscillate but maybe the 450 mile 3 millisecond trip is not long enough for much oscillations to happen and the Muon neutrino travels at a much different speed than the Electron or Tau neutrino. I know I'm thinking out loud and grasping at straws and the most likely explanation is simply experimental error; but then again this is CERN and they must have sweated bullets before publication knowing it would make a big splash and worried that they'd end up looking like fools, so they must be pretty confident of their data. I hope this doesn't turn into a cold fusion type fiasco.

I don't know what to think.

  John K Clark