[ExI] mbrains again: request

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Sep 28 09:48:28 UTC 2011

spike wrote:

> Here’s the discovery. As far back as ten years ago, I was fooling with
> MBrain orbit calculations and discovered that an MBrain can move an
> entire star. This past weekend, I was using the same equations I
> derived back then and discovered the original comment was an
> understatement. Not only can an MBrain move a star, it must move a
> star. Above a certain total area covered by MBrain MNeurons, if the
> MBrain does not exhaust a certain percentage of the star’s light on
> the first reflection, the swarm cannot reach thermal equilibrium and
> maintain temperatures within the solid phase range of known materials.

Just absorbing and re-radiating the luminosity as blackbodies produces a
nice equilibrium temperature as far as I can see - the star's envelope
gets a tiny fraction hotter, but nothing else. I need some extra hint
here: has this to do with the orbiting of the MNeurons?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute