[ExI] Billions of Interstellar Planets

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 30 14:31:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:11:01AM -0400, David Lubkin wrote:

> Since I learned about the Oort cloud as a kid in the Sixties, I have
> thought it quite possible that the outer perimeter of ours is close
> enough to the outer perimeter of the Centauri triple system that we
> could just expand our way rock-by-rock.

If you're solid state, self-healing, fully static and relativistic,
time and space is of no essence. In fact longer hops will be better
for the cruise duty cycle, and will assert you're keeping ahead of
the joneses.

> It would be very cool if we found out that the rest of the galaxy was
> similar. That is, that there is little or no interstellar space. (I count
> a solar system as extending to its Oort cloud.)

In order to go to deep space you either need radiant power from the
inner system beamed your way or your metabolism based on high-EROEI-fusion.