[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:51:12 UTC 2012

On 3 April 2012 10:44, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> There are plenty of practical measures around. But it doesn't help
> if most of them are being made illegal. E.g. masked demonstration?
> Illegal.

We are on the same line here. I do not trust legal remedies to protect my
privacy, but I certainly oppose any legal/administrative/governmental
policies and statutes aimed at outlawing even the attempt.

> Why would one tolerate video with integrated biometric collection?
> Or warrantless collection of cellular position information? The people
> who ordered this need to go to jail for a long time.

Beware, you might be put to jail on such accusations yourself (unless of
course you belong to a public agency of a politically-correct government
and do everything according to the rules, in which case all is fine and
dandy).

> Don't forget big data collection agencies like Google and Facebook.
> Anything they have NSA does. Via a covenient API, too.

Yes, absolutely. I do not know whether it is just an urban legend that FB
was created as a consequence of the failure of traffic analysis tools in
the nineties, but certainly it has been a dream come true for certain
agencies.

However, FB is a case in point. The reason why people publish
semi-sensitive stuff there is because they are deliberately lulled in a
confidence that they are in control of which data are going to accessed by
whom.

--
Stefano Vaj