[ExI] bexarotene papers

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Aug 10 14:41:53 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] bexarotene papers

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM, spike wrote:
>>... The error was unfortunate, but they acted in a responsible and timely
manner
> to fix it.   Well done, LA Times.

>...The Alzheimer's support groups are very keen on exchanging any
information they have, so I think they all know how much Bexarotene costs.
As do their doctors. Though, as you say, nobody knows what the dosage should
be...

Ja, but the world is swamped with black market and counterfeit Targretin.
As we discussed in February, families facing 8k per month elder-care bills
will try anything.

>...Anybody wanting to try it would surely at least do a google search on
costs first...

I would like to think so, but on this vacation I came into contact with
several people who do not use the internet at all, have no computer, and no
interest in getting one.  The mind boggles.

>... so I doubt if this pricing mistake has caused fatalities...

Ja probably not.  I hope not.  The factor of 30 error is large enough that
anyone with three milligrams of brain would realize they shouldn't be trying
to feed grandma 30 pills on one day, never mind 60.

>...  If anything, it might have saved lives by being too expensive for
people to try.  BillK

Hmmm, that is one way to look at it.  Let's hope you are right BillK.  If
Targretin is 1.2k per month, it would be worth trying for a family facing
the imminent cost of elder care, but at 1.2k per day, not.