[ExI] cost of SBSP and thorium

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 16:19:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> LFTRs are different in almost every way to existing reactors.

I know, that's what makes them so appealing technologically and so
unappealing politically. In most places being in favor of nuclear power
would be political suicide, being in favor of a reactor that was different
in almost every way would be suicide squared.

> There is a difference between building a small test reactor and building
> a full size production reactor.

Absolutely.

> To build a standard nuclear power station takes 5 to 10 years *after* all
> the haggling over sites and permits,
> planning, design, etc.

Environmentalists are far better than that at dreaming up roadblocks !! In
the USA no utility has started building a new reactor for 40 years, not
even one of conventional design.

> So, allow 10 years for a test build and problem solving. Then a few years
> for designing a full-size power station and getting quotes for the actual
> build. Then 5 to 10 years for a production build. It could easily take 20
> years.

Considering the political realities that is a very optimistic scenario, I
hope you're right.

  John K Clark